Sixth Form - BrightMed 12x3 & BrightIdeas
We realise that many young people only decide they want to pursue a career in medicine after GCSEs as we often have requests from students currently in Year 12 to join the BrightMed programme. Each year we run a three-day condensed Year 12 programme called BrightMed 12x3 over a weekend in July. This is open to Year 12 and Year 13 students who meet specific widening participation criteria.
BrightMed 12x3 will be running over the weekend of 26-28 July 2019. It will be a residential event, based on the University of Sussex Campus. Students will stay in halls of residence from the evening of Thursday 25 July until Sunday 28 July.
Further details can be found in our information leaflet and short video below.Please note we welcome applications from students across the UK. However, in the event of oversubscription, priority will be given to students at state schools and sixth form colleges in Sussex who most closely meet our widening participation criteria.
To find out more about BrightMed 12x3, read our information leaflet below.
Read more >
Applications for BrightMed 12x3 are now open. The application deadline date is Friday 31 May 2019. All applicants will hear back in mid-June and further details will be provided to successful applicants.
Apply here >
Please note, the application process will take 15-20 minutes and will ask you the following questions which you may wish to think about prior to applying:
- What has been your most engaging learning experience so far?
- Please tell us why you would like to take part in BrightMed 12x3
- Why do you want to become a doctor?
- What extra-curricular activities do you do? How do you think these will help with becoming a doctor?
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Charlotte Smyrk on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01273 644797.
BrightIdeas is a secondary research project, for Year 12 Students, that seeks to combine scientific literature with patient insight! Supported by a current medical student as an E-mentor, students interested in studying medicine and enrolled on the BrightIdeas project will;
- Choose a medical condition of interest
- Research the science behind the condition
- Explore the social implications and social stigmas of the condition via discussions with patients, or anyone who has cared for patients with the condition
- Report their findings via an essay, video, podcast, blog etc
- Share their reports via a presentation or uploading online to educate local communities
- Reflect on their experiences.
For further information on the project, watch our video below and have a look at the information leaflets.
Read the information for schools document >
Read the information for students document >
BrightIdeas is currently on hiatus while we make some changes. We hope to run it again in September 2019.
To register your interest in BrightIdeas, please complete the form at the link below.
Regsiter your interest >
If you have any questions about BrightIdeas, please contact Charlotte Smyrk via email@example.com