A significant proportion of BSMS staff and postgraduate research students conduct projects which take place entirely overseas, often as part of an international collaboration.
These studies frequently present complex ethical considerations and involve several governance requirements.
Researchers should be aware that they must seek a two-fold ethics review:
- BSMS Research Governance and Ethics Committee (RGEC) ethics approval: Applications are made and submitted electronically (via the online ethics review application system in Sussex Direct) to RGEC, which meets monthly at scheduled meetings.
- Local ethics approval: Obtained via a research ethics committee in the country(ies) in which the research is to take place, in accordance with local requirements. Local oversight and approval from a recognised Research Ethics Committee (REC) or Institutional Review Board (IRB) in the host country (or countries) where research activity will be carried out are required (and must be secured before any data collection or fieldwork commences).
Requirements for review are as follows:
- Approval of studies conducted overseas through the BSMS RGEC is conditional on the securing of local ethics approval in the study country(ies).
- All University-sponsored research carried out outside the UK is expected to comply with the University of Brighton and University of Sussex research ethics policies and guidelines while conforming to in-country regulations, practices, and laws.
- Researchers planning to carry out research overseas should first determine the appropriate research ethics committee ethics to apply to in the country(ies) in which the research is to be conducted. All relevant local ethics approvals for the country or countries where research is to be carried out should be in place prior to the commencement of the activity/activities to which they apply.
Useful forms and guidance for applicants >
Staff-lef research conducted outside the UK >
Additional approvals for overseas research >
Doctoral student-led research conducted outside the UK >
Additional approvals >